Shop my closet
- As each season comes around I like to go through and clear out pieces I haven’t worn in the last year. This year I took it one step further and cleared out anything that I didn’t love or feel excited about keeping. Clearing out those pieces that just take up space is always so freeing and helps you take stock of what you have, and what you need.
Sell Your Unwanted Pieces
- Stores like Platos Closet and Style Encore are great options for selling your unwanted pieces. You won’t get a ton of money for your used items, but they will give you cash on the spot and it’s an easy way to get rid of those pieces that were taking up unwanted space. If you have more work-wear pieces, Style Encore is your best bet. Platos Closet is best for pieces from Forever 21, Abercrombie, H&M etc.
- If you have higher end pieces, consignment shops are likely your best bet. My favourite shop is The Way We Were in Georgetown.
- If you’re not into selling in person, there are many great online options. DePop, Instagram pages, or Facebook Buy and Sell Groups are some great options, aside from the classics like Kijiji and Ebay.
Use what you already have
- Once you have cleaned out your closet, go back through and pull out some of your staple pieces, as well as a few favourites from last year. Use those pieces as the base to build your wardrobe.
Stick with a colour palette
- To get more wear out of your wardrobe, or be able to pack for a week or more in a carry on, stick with a colour palette. Keeping with a consistent colour scheme will allow you to easily mix and match pieces, make more outfits, and stretch your wardrobe further. Mixing and matching pieces will give you the option to take a dozen pieces into a few dozen outfits.
- A few simple accessories will easily spice up a simple outfit and can take any look from day to night with a quick change.
Shop my closet:
Dressery Boutique Floral Bell Sleeve Top | Levis 721 Skinny High Waist Denim | Vionic Wedge Espadrilles | Rebecca Minkoff L.O.V.E. Cross-body bag | Ray-ban Aviators
When picking pieces for my wardrobe there are a handful of styles I keep going back to – stripes, florals, polka dots, gingham, and a whole lot of pastels. One of the shops that I love going to for pieces like these is The Dressery Boutique. I keep finding more perfect pieces for spring – I can’t wait to wear more once the weather warms up! For 10% off your order at The Dressery Boutique, use code THEEMALEXANDER10.
Floral Wrap Midi Dress – The Dressery Boutique c/o| Steve Madden Strappy Sandals | Chloe Dupe Purse | Ray-ban Aviators
Have you ever slipped on a piece of clothing and just felt like everything about it is perfect? For me, this dress is that piece.
A little background on this dress. A few months back one of my best friends introduced me to The Dressery Boutique, which lead to many night of us swooning over pieces on their site, glass of wine in hand. This girlfriend of mine picked up some pieces from the shop and I was always so impressed by the quality of everything she picked up. I had been stalking the site for a while in hopes of snagging a perfect spring dress and was so happy I spotted this one as soon as it launched! This dress feels like butter. Seriously, it’s perfect! The first time I put it on I didn’t want to take it off, and can’t wait to take it on an upcoming trip – the material won’t wrinkle in your suitcase.
I’ve also got my eye on this skirt, this dress, and this top, for my upcoming travels. If you’ve got your eye on anything from The Dressery, you can get it 10% off with code THEEMALEXANDER10. Happy shopping 🙂
Vero Moda Pleated Midi Skirt | SheIn Scalloped Top | Dune Jewelled Sandals | ASOS Glitter Bow Clutch | Scarf – my grandmothers | Daniel Wellington Watch
With spring in the air and new blooms bursting through the ground, I have been getting more and more excited to pull out some of my favourite pieces from last year, while adding a few new ones to my collection. One of the pieces I have started collecting, in various colours for various seasons, is this pleated midi skirt. From the fit, to how it flows, it’s the perfect piece to take me through this season and into the next.
H&M Pink Bell Sleeve Dress |BP. Leopard Print Clutch | Penny Loves Kenny Pom Pom Pump | Bauble Bar Bell Drop Earrings | Quay Australia Cat Eye Sunglasses
Got a party to go to? I’ve got the perfect little pink dress! This pink number is oh so darling and very affordable at only $35! The pop of pink and bell sleeve detail make it an easy standout.
PRECIS PETITE Macey Faux Fur Collar Long Coat | ASOS Ruffle Short Sleeve Sweater | American Eagle Dream Jean | 424 Fifth Pink Flats | Rebecca Minkoff Love Crossbody | H&M Floral Airy Scarf
One of the things that gets me through those cold winter days is the Terra Winter Market. All spring and summer I spend as many Saturday mornings as I can at the Farmers Market, and it makes me so sad every time it ends, so when I found out about the Winter Market I knew I had to check it out. This place is such a breath of fresh air on those icy dry days! Hiding out in the greenhouse with a Popsicle in hand brings me great joy.
This past weekend I met up with my momma at the market in this easy weekend outfit, it was so refreshing to just slip on some flats and toss a light scarf over my shoulders. I can’t wait for more days like these!
SHEIN Frill Detail Bishop Dress | Grey Sam Edelman Booties | Navy Blue Fedora | Chloe Dupe Beige Cross-body Bag
See what I did there? dresses for less(es)… I’m at least trying to be clever haha!
If you’ve been following along here you would know that I have been obsessing over spring lately, particularly when it comes to fashion and florals. With some fun travel and event plans on the horizon, I have been on the hunt for the perfect dresses to take me through this transitional period and into spring and summer.
Since many of you, like me, are on a budget I decided to round up a bunch of my favourite dresses under $100 (most under $50) to take you through this last bit of winter and into spring:
H&M Floral Pleated Skirt (only in store, similar) | Halogen Scallop Detail Sweater Sweater | J.Crew Peacoat | Metallic Clutch | Sam Edelman Nude Pumps
Guys! There is less than one month until spring will be upon us and I seriously cannot wait. I feel like so often I have spoken about my disdain for winter this year. While it was truly beautiful, it has been rough for Josh and I. Between the extreme cold, feet of snow, and constant sickness, our ability to get out and enjoy this season has been seriously limited. This has left me longing for the warmer weather, longer days, and new life that spring brings.
While I can’t make the warmer weather come faster, I have been able to bring my wardrobe into spring with a plethora of pastel coats, floral maxi skirts, and fitted knits. The combination of all three brought this outfit to life and I must admit, this is probably my favourite outfit so far this year. Twirling around in this skirt had me dreaming of swinging into spring – any day now *crosses fingers*.
Club Monaco White Dress | Nude Heeled Sandals | Similar Gold Clutch | Lipstick in Believer| Cat-eye Sunglasses
With Christmas and New Year’s Eve (which is also J’s birthday) around the corner I am in full fledged holiday and party outfit mode! As soon as I spotted this beauty at the Club Monaco outlet near my house I knew I needed to make her mine. The lace detailing on this dress is unlike any other I own, and the added touch of the gold stitching makes it the perfect piece to ring in the new year in. I cannot wait to finally spend both Christmas and New Years with J and our friends! What our your New Years Eve plans?